Saturday, July 22, 2006

Our New KY Home


After delivering in Texas we booggied up to Texarkana to load a load to PA. After waiting for permits, and having A\C problems we arrived in KY. Well WV is a PIA. They have changed the way that they do there permits and we found out that they are really really behind issuing permits because they changed there system. So Thursday night we pulled into a Flying J in Cattlesburg, KY and set up camp. That's Skip and Mugs the Pugs. They are running one of these glorious loads with us! So anywho, we set up camp behind the trailers and whipped out the grill! We shunned the J and had some steaks and asparagus on the grill instead!It was really good and a nice night so we were happy.

Then Friday rolled around and we thought that surely we would have out permits in the morning so we could still deliver on Friday. 10 am was the cutoff for us getting our permits and still being able to deliver Friday. Well 10 came and went and still no permits. After twiddling our thumbs all day and discussing our options at length, Skip got his permit at about 4:30. It was too late to go for the weekend but at least he can leave first thing Monday morning. We thought surely our permit was right behind it and we would be getting the call soon. Yeah right... Friday came and went and we have no permit. We are still on standby. We will start the thumb twiddling again Monday morning.

Yesterday we checked into the Days Inn. The dogs are happy to be running around, I have been using the computer and watching TV. We even ate at my friend Bob's house last night. Bob Evans that is:)

This week has been a productive knitting week for me. I also have managed to locate a yarn store here in town. (Thanks Leslie! I used mapmuse.com) I just hope that they are open on Sundays. I will try calling them in a little bit here.

This week I started and finished this cabled purse. It is from the book Last Minute Knitted Gifts.

It is a wallet sized bag made with Koigu. It was quick and fun to make . It's really hard to see the pattern in the picture but there are little mock cables (right twists) that run along the side the bag and in the middle there is a leaf motif. After working on the bag for a little bit it was really easy to read my knitting so that I had to look at the pattern minimally. It also has a stockenette lining so it won't pull and get stretched out. It look less than one skein of yarn which is also a big bonus. I had bought two skeins of the kouigu to make socks with but when I seen this project I decided I would like to make this bag since I am a sock knitting fool. I will probably make another one these bags with the other skein.

I have also been working on these socks. I am calling them the Lumberjack socks.

These are made with Lion Brand Magic stripes. They are just plain socks knit around and around and around. I like them. It's kind of nice to have a totally mindless sock project with no pattern to think about. I am working on the toe decreases now so I almost have one sock done.

Hopefully today I can hit up that yarn store in Ashland, KY and start cooking up a new project! Well that's all folks.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yummmmm Bob Evans.. I like eating at his place too. At the rate your knitting is going, you will soon have enough stuff to knit a truck koozie or something. I can see it now, your truck parked at the Flying J with a giant knitted cover over it.. :-)
Have fun..keep it safe, and I hope to see you soon. And of course, you know what to do with the boys.. PS: You're making me miss life on the road..
Toodles...

Anonymous said...

Don't kill yourself. don't kill the dogs. BEG chris for some beer. Or you could resort to sniffing gasoline..... hang in there!