Sunday, July 09, 2006

Vacationing in Oregon



We are doing one of the things that we set out to do when I got on the truck. We are taking a little mini vacation here in Portland. We got into town Friday night and settled in and headed to the Ponderosa Nightclub that is here at Jubitz truckstop in Portland. We listened to the Honkey Tonk band, Kindling and had some drinks. Yesterday morning we woke up and got a bite of breakfast and got some laundry started. I decided that I had better call Linda and Bob Cole, one of the agents in Vancouver, and say hello since we were in town. Well we decided to go grab some dinner and then they were kind enough to show us some sites around the Portland area. Wow! What a great afternoon we had. They took us to the Columbia River gorge. We drove thru the beautiful Pacific Northwest forests and stopped to see 5 waterfalls!!! The scenery was fabulous and I'm sure that without Linda and Bob we never would have seen this area.

View of the Columbia River from Crown Point

I can not express how really really nice it was of Linda and Bob to take time out of there weekend to drive us around and show us the sites.

Chris, Laura Bob, Linda and Zachery at Latourell Falls

Bridal Veil Falls

Chris and Laura at Multnamah Falls

Multnomah Falls

Up until 1995 Multnomah had the longest continuous waterfall in the world. In 1995 a 400 ton chunk of rock the size of a school bus fell from the falls from the natural erosion of the water hitting the rock. Now that that piece fell the walls sucks the water close enough to the rocks that it breaks the continuous fall.

When we got back to the Hotel we came back to the room and crashed with the boys for a little bit. After we had rested us for a little bit we headed down to the Ponderosa again. We listened to the band and had some more drinks. It was a very wonderful full day yesterday. Today we will be a much slower paced day! We are going to watch the race and do some "housework" in the truck.

Here is one of the pics of my shawl that I had been trying to upload. I did finish the butterfly shawl but do not have a pic of the finished shawl yet. I finished it just in the nick of time. The day after I finished we were in Northern Idaho (beautiful!!!!!!) and it was chilly and perfect shawl weather. I am predicting that shawls will be the poncho. Watch out fashion world!


I have also been plugging along on Chris' socks. They are turning out really nice so far. I finally had him try them on yesterday and they are fitting perfectly so far also. I have spoiled myself by knitting little socks for me and Chris has BIG feet. These socks will take longer to complete than the shawl!

Well it's time for me to get cozy, knit and watch the race!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, Happy Trails to you, certainly seems to fit the bill. The pictures are awesome, and thanks for the tidbits of history of the area. too cool.. I'm glad you are having such a good time. It could only be better if I was there too.. har har har. Pretty soon you'll be singin " I've been everywhere" too. Give the boys a pat for me..

Anonymous said...

Something horrible happened yesterday. I caught a slight case of Fall Fever. You know what I'm talking about.

Anonymous said...

Fall fever... I hope I didn't start that by talking about chocolates... I know how you two are with fall fever... LOL